Wednesday 4 February 2015

My Trip to Sedona Arizona – Finding My Own Key To Success

A Beginning



While I am always somewhat anxious about going on a plane, I was never the less extremely excited to go to Sedona Arizona after the holiday season was over. I was very excited to explore the vortexes and see the haunting beauty of this very unique section of desert. As we drove in from Phoenix after landing you couldn’t’ see much as we happened to arrive in a complete blizzard which whited out the normally red landscape. It was the largest amounts of snow fall in many years and while it obscured our initial view it was still pretty amazing to be experiencing something that only few will see. As you cross through and over the large mountain range that separates Phoenix and Sedona the landscape undergoes drastic transformations. From my seat in the truck you could see small cacti, shrub, trees and an occasionally, I was told, an imported Palm or three. Phoenix itself was clear, the storm had already moved through but as we rose in elevation the storm thickened around us obscuring the landscape all but for a few meters off the road. Eventually the cacti no longer grew, they were replaced by juniper and other stunted trees that littered the landscape along the highways. We came through the other side and began our long downgrade to another valley that led us closer to where we were staying.

An Emerging Vivid Landscape







Even thought the storm blocked everything from view, it didn’t obscure the overwhelming sense of vibrating energy that hit like a soft wall, which to me I felt like my legs were humming from the inside out, as we crossed through a crag and emerged out into the Sedona Valley and finally entered Oak Creek. Oak creek is a small community that lives along a strip of road lined with small businesses. The people are extremely nice and were very welcoming to us. We arrived in the dark and so we didn’t get to see the splendor until the next morning. We woke to see the landscape in such contrast that it was beautiful. The deep, rich reds, covered and blanketed in the stark, unmarred white of the snow, the sky seemed so blue it hurt to look at and the tops of the red rocks were blanketed in a sea of low laying clouds that churned and twirled as they caressed the rock faces and the juniper and pear cacti that grew along their tops. Pear cacti were abundant and seemed to be one of the few cacti that still had a firm foothold in the region. That first day I went on a trail up through the backcountry towards the very famous bell rock where I managed to capture some pretty spectacular and rare photos of a landscape that normally does not know thick snow. I also managed to capture some pretty intense soakers as I slogged back down the highway towards home. We as a family joked that after our brown Christmas we flew on a five-hour flight with a toddler just to see snow in the desert.

The Artists Way



As the trip progressed I was also working through a 12-week course known as ‘The Artists Way’ by Julia Cameron. I could write an entire blog just about that experience but for now it had inspired me to play with photography and to embrace the part of me that loves exploration and adventure through trails and hiking. I tried as best I could to meditate daily I managed to do my morning pages almost every day. Morning pages are one of the tools of The Artists Way course that you do each morning as a way to tune into and listen to ones self. I find them truly effective and illuminating. This trip along with confirming once more my disdain for power tourism also taught me many other things. I could go into great detail about the amazing places I visited and the amazing things I saw, from the Grand Canyon, which takes your breath away and defies your best efforts to comprehend it to driving from Arizona to Nevada and exploring the Las Vegas Strip on a Saturday night, with a brief stop over at the Hoover Damn. I will instead try to stay on topic.

Bell Rock and Twisted Trees







By far one of the few things I loved the most was hiking on the trails that are dappled over the landscape everywhere in Sedona as it is located in the Coconino National Forest. They take you all over the valley and up to and sometimes on the great red rocks. I spent time on their trails and visited a few of the vortexes. One of the things I miss about Sedona was the smell; when I was out on the path to Bell Rock I would notice how clean, how crisp the air was. It was perfumed with Juniper and smelled like fire pit and fired clay. When we returned from our cross-country drive a half-week into our trip the weather had returned more to normal and we were enjoying 18 degree Celsius days. The snow had departed except in areas where the deep shade never left and I was often stunned at just how red the soil was and would watch as it changed shades with the movement of the day. On one of my hikes I climbed half way up bell rock and was again able to take some pretty amazing pictures along the way and of the valley floor below me. The first time I climbed I not only found a waterfall flowing under a cascade of ice but I was amazed at how strong the energies were and I actually had to sit down because it felt like I would begin to fly off the ground. The entire valley had a very different and uplifting energy to it and I have never slept so well in my entire life.

Keys to Clarity



Which brings me finally to some of the things I discovered on my trip. I noticed being back with my family of origin just how true it is that old dynamics, which we associate with our family member, have a hard time remaining when we ourselves are no longer being our old selves. Some of my family members were having a hard time with one another; I on the other hand didn’t notice the interactions degrading when it came to those I personally shared with them. I realized I didn’t notice them being their regular old selves because I had at no time become the old “Charlotte.” While I had known this all along I had never been able to, for 9 days straight, choose not to participate in old dynamics. While I meditated on bell rock among the twisted trees in the very corona of the vortex I also felt how easy it was to completely let go of the weight that I would carry and the barriers I held within myself. At first I attributed this to where I was but then as I continued walking I realized that that had nothing to do with it, the vortex was a catalyst in that my mind viewed it as a tool for transformation but the ability was never outside of myself and never required some special kind of tool or energy. I again saw with such vivid clarity how simple things are and how hard we make things for ourselves. I truly miss Sedona Arizona, from the trail to as I will always know it ‘Old Sedona’ where the shopping district is. During this trip I finally found the key to unlocking my true potential for visioning and creating the life I have been dreaming of and since I’ve been back things have been moving at a remarkable speed. I am excited and grateful. If I could, I would take people there on retreats because it is one of the truly spectacular places that I have ever been.

In Spirit of this check out my new courses Click Here

~ Charlotte Brammer

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me think of something Wayne Dyer said “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change”.

    In this mornings meditation I asked myself what it would look like to live in the new way you describe, in a way where we can be in the state of freedom, allowing, and spontaneity, what would that look like?

    To my surprise, I got the answer that it has nothing to do with thinking and everything to do with feeling. I felt myself open my heart and feel an expansion come over me with calm serene feeling. The corners of my mouth turned up a little with a slight smile on my face as my face softened. Warm loving emotions poured out, as the muscles in my body relaxed and I knew this is the state I need to live in.

    If I can practice living in this loving state, in this feeling of expansion, gratitude, and compassion then situations won't trigger me, or I can see them in a different light and I won't become the old 'Ingrid'. So I am creating a new saying:

    “When you change the way you feel about things, the things you feel change”, Ingrid Brammer.

    ReplyDelete